- Pasta shells boiled 250 gm.
- Olive oil
- Fresh basil 4 oz (115 gm.) (About 40 to 50 leaves)
- Pine nuts 1 oz (25 gm.)
- Extra virgin olive oil 4 fl oz (125 mls)
- Garlic cloves 2
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese 2 oz (55 gm.)
- Salt to taste
- To make the pesto, put the garlic, pine kernels and a large pinch of salt into a blender or food processor and grind briefly.
- Add the basil leaves and process to a paste.
- With the blender still running gradually add the oil.
- Scrape into a bowl and add the parmesan cheese. Season to taste.
- Bring water in a large pot to boiling point and add some salt. Dunk the pasta shells in the boiling water and cook for 8-10 minutes until tender yet firm. Drain well.
- Return to the pan add the pesto and toss well to coat the shells with the pesto depending on how strong you like the flavour. Finish with some sprigs of fresh basil.