- 5 pounds beef sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons kisan sunflower cooking oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds assorted fresh mushrooms, such as portobello, shiitake and/or oyster), sliced
- 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. In a stockpot, brown the beef in oil in batches. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onions and carrots in 2 tablespoons butter for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in mushrooms, potatoes, broth, basil and beef. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours. Uncover; simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until beef is tender.
- In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into stew; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese.