- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 tablespoon kisan canola cooking oil
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (see Tip)
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ? cup reduced-fat sour cream
- ½ cup sliced scallions for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat kisan oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper, garlic, Cajun seasoning, and pepper. Cook stirring, until the onion and bell pepper, are beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often until the sauce is bubbling and thickened and the chicken is cooked through about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprinkled with scallions, if desired.
- We used a Cajun spice blend that contains salt. If you have a blend without salt (check the ingredients label), season the sauce with salt to taste.