- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon kisan canola cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pasta sauce with meat
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain and transfer to greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 6-8 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, pasta sauce and sausage; pour over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese (dish will be full).
- Cover casserole with a piece of foil coated with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Say Cheese Now!
Never waste cheese again. Always remember to wrap the cheese stacks in a cloth that has been soaked in vinegar and squeezed well. Keep adding vinegar from time to time