- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin kisan canola cooking oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces cod (see Tip) or tilapia, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup finely chopped whole-wheat country bread, (about 1 slice)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup finely shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until just starting to soften,
- Place fish on top of the onion and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the pan tightly with foil; transfer to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- Toss the bread with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil, paprika and garlic powder in a small bowl. Uncover the fish; top with the bread mixture and cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.