- kisan canola cooking oil for frying
- 2 white fish fillets (cod, snapper, halibut) bones and skin removed
- fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a large pan or pot over medium-high heat until oil reaches 375 degrees. Note: Make sure the pan is large enough that the fish fillets wont be crowded when frying.
- To make the batter whisk together flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the beer.
- Sprinkle the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour. Dip into batter. Gently lay battered fish into oil. Fry until golden brown about 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with more kosher salt if desired.
- To assemble the sandwich place 1 lettuce leaf and 1 - 2 tomato slices on the bottom portion of the bun. Top with fish. Spread tartar sauce generously on top of fish. Repeat to make other sandwich.
- Serve immediately.