- 3-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons kisan canola cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Salad croutons and thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil.
- Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- Process tomato mixture and basil leaves in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through.
- If desired, top with croutons and sliced basil. Yield: 6 servings.
- Save the Tomatoes
- We all want to store tomatoes when they are cheap. Here's a really easy tip of canning tomatoes. Boil a pot of water, dip the tomatoes in for a minute, take them out and immediately run them through a strainer with cold water.
- The peels will come off easily. Now store them in a canning jar and add cold water to fill it up. Also add few tablespoons of salt to preserve them