- 4-6 beets
- 1/2 white onion, diced small
- 2 Tbs kisan pure vegetable ghee
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbs of your favorite herb, I used Thyme
- 32 oz chicken broth (900 grams)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Scrub beets and remove tops.
- Place beets in large pan, add water enough to cover them and simmer them until fork tender, about 30 minutes.
- Peel the beets with either a knife or a crumpled piece of foil, the outer layer should come off easily.
- Chop beets into 1/4 inch pieces, set aside.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add bacon fat and onions and cook until onions become transparent but not browned.
- Add garlic and herb and cook 1-2 more minutes, don’t let the garlic turn brown.
- Add chicken broth and beets, simmer 10 minutes.
- Check for seasoning, I didn’t need to add any salt or pepper to mine.
Too greasy for its own Good
If your soup or sauce becomes too greasy, just drop an ice cube in it. The ice will attract all the fat, which can then easily be scooped out