- 200g fresh shiitake mushrooms halved
- 200g thick Korean glass noodles (see note) or thin glass noodles (bean thread vermicelli)
- 1/2 small Chinese cabbage, thickly sliced
- 4 spring onions, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 600g silken firm tofu (at room temperature), drained, cubed
- 3/4 cup (185ml) mirin (see note)
- 3/4 cup (185ml) reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sake
- For the broth, combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes for flavours to develop.
- Add mushrooms and noodles and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and spring onion and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Place the noodles and vegetables in bowls, top with cubed tofu and ladle over the broth.
- Garnish with extra spring onion and serve at once.
- A Pair Of Scissors Can Do It All
- Your kitchen also needs its very own pair of scissors. They can help in snipping green chilies, fresh herbs, green onions and other vegetables