- 60g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Kisan sunflower cooking oil
- 6 (1kg) brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 cups Massel beef style liquid stock
- Cheesy bread
- 12 baguette bread slices, each 1.5cm thick
- Kisan oil cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat until sizzling. Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 45 to 50 minutes or until onions are very soft. Stir in sugar and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onions caramelise.
- Add flour to saucepan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add stock and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavours to combine.
- Make cheesy bread Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray both sides of bread with oil. Rub both sides of bread with garlic. Arrange bread on 2 baking trays. Bake, turning once, for 10 to 12 minutes or until bread is light golden. Sprinkle cheese over 1 side of bread. Return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheesy bread, season with pepper and serve.