- Mutton: 1 kg
- Potatoes: 3 medium
- Onion: 4 large red onion (almost 2 cups chopped)
- Garlic paste: 1 tbsp
- Ginger paste: 2 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Chili Powder: 2 tsp (as per your heat tolerance)
- Yogurt: 1/4 cup
- kisan canola cooking oil: 4 tbsp+ 1/2 cup
- Garam masala powder: 1/2 tsp
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp
- Wash the mutton pieces and drain the water.
- Soak excess water with kitchen towels. Add the beaten yogurt, 1/3 of the ginger garlic paste, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 tbsp mustard oil and your chosen meat tenderizer eg. raw papaya/ kiwi or betel-nut.
- Mix. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate at least for 3 hours. For best result marinate for 6-8 hours.
- Peel and cut the potatoes in half. Smear little salt and turmeric and keep aside.
- Peel and chop the onions in half moon shape.
- Soak the cumin powder in 2 tbsp water and keep aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a big pan. Fry the potato pieces till golden and take out with a slotted spoon.
- Lightly pound the whole spices under tempering and add to the oil. Let it sizzle for a few seconds and then add all the chopped onion, a pinch of salt and the sugar.
- On medium flame brown it for 10-12 minutes. Stir every now and then to stop it from burning at the bottom.
When defrosting meat, remember to pour some vinegar over it. It will bring down the temperature quickly and also tenderize it