- 1kg shoulder of lamb
- 2 onions
- , sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped oregano
- , or 1 tsp dried
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 tbsp kisan canola cooking oil
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 1.2l hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g orzo (see know-how below)
- freshly grated parmesan
- , to serve
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Cut the lamb into 4cm chunks, then spread over the base of a large, wide casserole dish. Add the onions, oregano, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon and olive oil, then stir well. Bake, uncovered, for 45 mins, stirring halfway.
- Pour over the chopped tomatoes and stock, cover tightly, then return to the oven for 1½ hrs, until the lamb is very tender.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks, then stir in the orzo. Cover again, then cook for a further 20 mins, stirring halfway through. The orzo should be cooked and the sauce thickened. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan and serve with crusty bread.