- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 20 miniature peanut butter cups, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 jar (12-1/4 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- 1 can (16 ounces) milk chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine the dry cake mix, butter and egg; beat until no longer crumbly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the peanut butter cups. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine cornstarch, caramel topping and peanut butter until smooth. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil, about 25 minutes. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in peanuts. Spread evenly over warm crust. Bake 6-7 minutes longer or until almost set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Spread with frosting; sprinkle with peanuts. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 3 dozen.