- 5 to 6 lbs roma tomatoes washed and halved
- in Handful fresh thyme sprigs finely minced or ground a spice grinder, about a dozen
- 1 tbsp kisan canola cooking oil
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tsp oregano
- 3 leaves basil chopped
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups chicken stock or more for desired consistency
- 3 spicy Italian sausages
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- parmesan cheese garnish
- Place the tomatoes cut side down on several sheet pans and drizzle with kisan oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake the tomatoes in a preheated 400F oven for 40 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, flip the tomatoes and place the chopped garlic equally on all of the tomato halves.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausages in a saute pan over medium high heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from oven, peel off the skins when cooled slightly.
- Pour into a food processor, doing so in batches if necessary. Add the herbs and blend until pureed. If blending the sausage as well, cut into small pieces and add to the food processor.
- Transfer to a sauce pot and pour in the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper (add the minced sausage at this stage if you didn't add to the food processing step.)
- Cook on the stove, covered for about 15 minutes. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
- Too greasy for its own Good
- If your soup or sauce becomes too greasy, just drop an ice cube in it. The ice will attract all the fat, which can then easily be scooped out