- 2 tablespoons kisan canola cooking oil
- 6 trimmed lamb shanks
- 2 large chopped onions
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 sticks diced celery
- 2 litres Massel beef style liquid stock
- 1 litre water
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Heat 2 tablespoons kisan oil in a large saucepan and brown 6 trimmed lamb shanks. Remove and set aside. Add 2 large chopped onions, 4 cloves crushed garlic, 2 diced carrots and 2 sticks diced celery and cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Step 2
- Return the shanks to the pan and add 2 litres beef stock, 1 litre water, 3/4 cup pearl barley and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Step 3
- Remove the shanks and cool slightly. Take the meat off the bone and flake into pieces. Return the meat to the soup and add an extra 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary. Season to taste and serve. Freeze remaining soup in airtight containers.